DANIEL SAKAGUCHI (PARTNER)
Daniel represents clients in complex commercial litigation and arbitration. Daniel has tried jury cases to verdict in state and federal courts from California to Missouri to Illinois.
Prior to joining Alto Litigation, Daniel was a litigation partner at Armstrong Teasdale LLP in St. Louis, Missouri.
Berkeley Law School (Boalt Hall)
University of California, Berkeley
University of California, Berkeley
Complex Commercial Litigation
Complex Commercial Litigation:
Lead counsel for specialty food product broker in fraud and contract dispute with former business associates resulting in seven-figure settlement.
Lead counsel on behalf of snack bar manufacturer in dispute with nut supplier resulting in high six-figure settlement.
Defeated challenge to tax increment finance and business development districts at trial and on appeal.
Lead counsel on behalf of telecommunications company in arbitration for premature termination of contract, resulting in seven-figure award, including attorneys’ fees.
Lead counsel for telecommunications company in multimillion-dollar breach of contract action against armored car company. Achieved favorable settlement after obtaining dismissal of counterclaims for fraud and deceptive trade practices.
- Represented electronic payments company in trade secret dispute with former software vendor, resulting in favorable settlement.
- Defeated trademark infringement claims on summary judgment in representation of video game manufacturer.
- Won summary judgment on behalf of movie studio on copyright claims against maker and seller of infringing collectible objects.
- Represented snack food company in patent and trade secret dispute, forcing withdrawal of expert opinion on trade secret misappropriation claims.
- Obtained favorable settlement in patent royalty dispute with medical device manufacturer on behalf of university.
- Secured patent rights for alternative energy company in international arbitration with former joint venture partner.
- Achieved permanent injunctions in several trademark actions on behalf of national pharmacy franchise.
PUBLICATIONS & LECTURES
“Flex your ADR Skills” Panelist, 2016 The Woman Advocate Annual, Kansas City, November 10, 2016.
“Light and Shadow - The Evolving Interplay Between Patents and Trade Secrets” Moderator and Panelist, NAPABA Annual Convention, San Diego, November 4, 2016.
“The ABCs of Insurance Panel Counsel” Panelist, NAPABA Annual Convention, New Orleans, November 6, 2015.
PROFESSIONAL ASSOCIATIONS & ACTIVITIES
Member, State Bar of California
Admissions: Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and California’s federal district courts, Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals and federal district courts of Missouri, Illinois, Kansas, Arkansas, Colorado and Nebraska
National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (At-Large member, Board of Directors) (Vice President for Programs and Operations) (Regional Conference Committee)
American Bar Association TIPS Connect! Diversity Fellow, 2017-2019
Bar Association of San Francisco (Solo & Small Firm Section Executive Committee)
Missouri Asian American Bar Association (Board of Directors, President 2008-2009)
Asian American Chamber of Commerce of St. Louis (Board of Directors, 2012-2014)
Missouri Coalition Against Domestic and Sexual Violence
Legal Services of Southern Missouri
St. Louis Business Journal “40 Under 40” (2011)
Missouri/Kansas Super Lawyers® (2014-2016), Rising Star (2010-2012), and by
Best Lawyers in America® for Copyright Law in 2015-2016.